1. How have you performed on the Unit O and P tests? What evidence do you have from your work in the unit that supports your test grade (good or bad)? Be specific and include a minimum of three pieces of evidence.
RESPOND HERE:
Lately, my test scores have been horrible. For unit O, I got a D on the test on the first time I took it. Then I retook it and I still did bad. For Unit P, I got a 46 percent on my test. I have not been keeping up with the work for these last two concepts. For Unit O, I have my PQ's and PT done. I also did all the WPP's that belonged in these two units. For unit P, I have some PQ's that are done and some that are missing. I have been doing horrible lately in math class and I am afraid that I will fail the class.
2. You are able to learn material in a variety of ways in Math Analysis. It generally follows this pattern:
→ Your initial source of information is generally the video lessons and SSS packets followed by a processing and reflection activity via the WSQ
→ individual supplemental research online or in the textbook before class
→ reviewing and accessing supplementary resources provided by Mrs. Kirch on the blog
→ discussion with classmates about key concepts
→ practice of math concepts through PQs
→ formatively assessing your progress through concept quizzes
→ cumulatively reviewing material through PTs
→ Final Assessment via Unit Test.
Talk through each of the steps given in the following terms:
a. How seriously do you take this step for your learning? What evidence do you have to support your claim? Make sure to make reference to all 8 steps.
b. How could you improve your focus and attention on this step to improve your mastery of the material? What specific next steps would this entail? Make sure to make reference to all 8 steps.
RESPOND HERE:
Part A
Step 1: For the most part, I take this step seriously. I usually try to watch the video lessons at around 6 or 7 pm so that I won't turn in my WSQ too late, but most nights I also have homework from other classes so it's hard to balance everything out.
Step 2: I do not take this step seriously. I have never looked in my textbook to get extra help. Sometimes I look for other videos online if I don't understand the concept but some of the other videos that I find aren't helpful, so I prefer to watch Mrs. Kirch's videos.
Step 3: Sometimes I do look at the supplementary resources that are on the blog. For the most part I do not look at the supplementary resources which is why I do not understand the material.
Step 4: During the WSQ chats in class, I try to participate as much as I can but it's hard for me to participate when I don't understand the concepts. I also try to get my hot questions answered.
Step 5: When I do my PQ's I try to ask my classmates for help if I am stuck. My goal in during the class period is to finish my PQ's but if I don't understand the concept I don't finish them in class. For example, Unit O Concept 6 was a hard concept for me and I wasn't able to finish that PQ in class.
Step 6: Quizzes have been the worst part of math lately. I have been failing every quiz for a while now. When I am doing my PQ's in class, I feel like I understand the material but then, I take the quiz and I get bad scores on them.
Step 7: I have been doing a bad job completing my PTs. For Unit O I completed my PT, but for Unit P I didn't do any of the practice test. And the consequence of that decision was that I failed my Unit P test.
Step 8: As I said before, my Unit O and Unit P test scores were horrible. This is the first time that I have been struggling in math class and I honestly don't know what to do about it. I am not used to getting D's and F's on my tests, so I hope that for my next test, I get a C or higher.
Part B:
Step 1: I could improve my focus during the video lessons by turning off my cellphone, turning off my music and by watching the video lessons in my room because that will help me concentrate more.
Step 2: I can improve my understanding of the material by looking at videos by other people doing the same concept. Maybe if I see other people explaining the same concept, I will understand how to do it.
Step 3: I could improve my understanding of the concept by using the extra resources that Mrs. Kirch has provided for me. By looking at the extra resources, I will get more practice with the concept and I will learn it better. If I actually take the time to look at the extra resources, I might understand the concept better.
Step 4: I could improve my participation in the WSQ chats by coming prepared to class. By coming prepared to class I mean having watched all the videos for the concept and also having a hot question. I usually come up with a hot question during the WSQ chat which defeats the purpose of having a hot question.
Step 5: I could improve my understanding of the concept by taking my PQs more seriously. I try my best to finish my PQ's during class but that hasn't been happening lately. I could make this happen by asking Mrs. Kirch for help if I am stuck on a concept or by looking at the answer key on the blog if I need help.
Step 6: I could improve my performance on quizzes by making sure that I understand the material before I take the quiz. I could make sure that I understand the material by asking questions and by doing extra practice problems before I take the quiz.
Step 7: I could Improve my understanding of the material by actually taking the time to complete my PTs thoroughly. I could also re-watch the videos if I forgot how to do a concept.
Step 8:I can do a lot of things to improve my test scores. First of all, I can make sure that I have completed every PQ and PT before taking the test. Next, I can also do practice problems for each concept. I also have to improve the review part of my test. I can improve the review part of my test by watching videos from that concept and by doing practice problems from that concept.
3. Reflect on your learning this year thus far by considering the following questions:
a. How confident do you generally feel on the day of a Unit Test? Give evidence and specifics to back up your answer.
b. How well do you feel you have learned the math material this year as compared to your previous years in math? Give evidence to support your claim.
c. How DEEPLY do you feel you have learned the math material this year as compared to your previous years in math? Give evidence to support your claim.
d. Do you normally feel like you understand the WHY behind the math and not just the WHAT/HOW? Meaning, do you understand why things work, how they are connected to each other, etc, and not just the procedures? Explain your answer in detail and cite specific evidence from this year.
e. How does your work ethic relate to your performance and success? What is the value of work ethic in real life?
RESPOND HERE:
a. I do not feel confident at all on the day of a Unit Test. I always feel overwhelmed by the testing environment in class because we don't start our test at the same time as everyone else. I guess I am used to the standard process for taking tests when the teacher passes out the materials and everyone begins at the same time. Evidence that shows that I am overwhelmed on test days is that I do not finish my tests.
b. I feel that this year, the material does not sink in. In the last few units, I have forgotten most of the material by the day of the unit test. This has to do with the fact that I don't have enough practice with the concept. I also think that College Algebra was easier because most of the material that I learned in that class was review for me.
c. I feel that this year in Math Analysis, I do my work just to get it done. I found that I am not putting thought into my work. I don't want to complain but I feel that this year I have done much more work in Math class than previous years. So most of the time I do my work just to get it done and I don't put much thought into it.
d. I feel like I don't understand the "WHY" behind the math. For example when we were doing the derivations of Sine and Cosine, I did not understand how to do them and I did not understand why we were doing them. I can honestly say that I don't understand "WHY" the concepts work.
e. Generally, I get my work done on time. But this semester I have found that I am slacking off a lot in math and in some of my other classes too. I have been feeling discouraged in math because of the test grades that I am getting and because of my overall grade in the class. When Mrs. Kirch announced that she wasn't going to sign WSQ charts anymore I freaked out because I knew that I was going to stop doing my work. Work ethic is the most important thing in real life because you won't be able to achieve anything you want if you are lazy. Work ethic is important because it is what makes you succeed in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment